With Copenhagen coming up, we are close to a crunch point. To reach a wider audience I need things like copyright free photos for example. It would help people put this in perspective and understand what we mean when we ask for empirical evidence. I’m putting together another skeptics handbook right now as well as some articles. Things are urgent. Once legislation is in place it will be very very hard to unwind.
As well as photographs, we need translators, and Adobe photoshoppers. Thanks!
[Photo 1 (right): No I'm not asking for banners, but in the spirit of grassroots action this is Greg Balle and I painting our 8 metre banner in Bali 2007.]
My wish-list of photos:
Some of these are probably not in your backyard, unless you live on the space station or inside a Boeing Lab. For these * I think we need to contact researchers. Naturally be mindful of copyright laws.
- stone age sites and tools, ruins, tombs, hearths etc.
- Aristotle (statues eh)
- Galileo (likewise Newton, Edison, Faraday… any of the greats!)
- historic primitive medical equipment
- ice cores *
- tree rings *
- caves (stalagmites)
- corals, reefs
- test tubes
- tropical forest
- Yamal, northern russia
- larch trees and bristlecone pines
- dinosaur models, bones, fossils
- WMO Building Geneva, Switzerland (IPCC HQ)
- East Anglia CRU
- Satelites *
- Weather Balloons, drop-sondes *
- XBT (ocean temperatures)
- assorted nature shots – animals, mountain escarpments
- Nice clean simple shots please, so if you have been to a museum and were allowed to photograph things, or you have visited ancient sites, maybe you have a shot already or can get one. Please let me know if you are going to take the trouble to photograph something so I can tell you what kind of shot I need, and whether it is urgent.
[Photo 2: The scandalous banner that was banned by the decent, upright and tolerant organisers of the UNFCCC. We snuck it in anyway.]
* If you have the time to contact researchers, to ask for shots of their work, it would be useful to get photos of actual evidence, for example, of the little ice age. It would help to make real, some of the evidence that is ignored. I can send out a list of some papers with references and authors institutions, but others will require some googling. I’ve no doubt many of these researchers would love to see their work being recognized.
If you have small versions of images, please send those. I’ll ask for the big ones when I find the right moment to use them.
Every country we can save from insidious legislation is a win. A carbon market has to be worldwide, so even small nations who stand up to the bullies and refuse to permit a fake free market in carbon credits can make a big difference. If you are happy to do translations please let me know. We are amassing a team of international collaborators who can advise us on local politics, most influential blogs in their languages and best way to reach free citizens everywhere.
Photoshop and graphic design skill
Images reach a wide crowd, and the thing holding us back from reaching people in other languages is often just the ability to translate pictures. If you can use photoshop and work with layers, we can find translators. We could really use someone who can drop in the translated text and save the file in the right format. I can explain the basics and help if need be.
To express interest
If you have anything or can help, please either write a message in the comments, perhaps with a link, or if you want to email me direct on joanneAT joannenova dot com dot au, that would be good too.
Please be assured I read all the emails, but I may not have time to reply. I appreciate your understanding. We take on the most powerful coalitions on the planet. They have billions of dollars; but we have nature on our side. It’s a hell of a contest to win the public spectacle that is our decision making process.
Thanks again to all the people working behind the scenes.
All contributions will be credited
UPDATE: See comments 6 and 7 below for more requests from me and thanks for the impressive tally so far!