Oh for the luxury of an election about policies! But when corruption rules, it gazumps the rest — no point in discussing the policies (whatever they are) if they might be managed by friends for the benefit of donors instead of the needy. All hail the slush fund.
Indeed why even discuss candidates if your vote might be flipped? Things are suddenly silly-electric. Last week Hillary mocked Trump for his talk of vote rigging, and contesting the election, but this week her team is assembling a voter protection program with thousands of lawyers. (And all the Dems had to do to avoid this was to approve voter ID checks.)
As the last week of the endless election begins Trump is jumping in the polls as the media churns with stories about the FBI investigating practically everyone, and voter volunteer watchdog teams are springing up.
There is not just one but five separate investigations of the inner Clintonworld clan:
The scale of the FBI’s interest in some of America’s most powerful political fixers – one of them a sitting governor – underlines just how difficult it will be for Clinton to shake off the taint of scandal if she enters the White House.
There are, in fact, not one but five separate FBI investigations which involve members of Clinton’s inner circle or their closest relatives – the people at the center of what has come to be known as Clintonworld.
The five known investigations are into: Anthony Weiner, Huma Abedin’s estranged husband sexting a 15-year-old; the handling of classified material by Clinton and her staff on her private email server; questions over whether the Clinton Foundation was used as a front for influence-peddling; whether the Virginia governor broke laws about foreign donations; and whether Hillary’s campaign chairman’s brother did the same.
Imagine Clinton wins — somewhere out there are the receivers of 30,000 missing emails.
Assuming some of those emails contain things a President would not want seen, especially if the FBI is investigating her, that hands rather lot of negotiating power to the people who hold copies of those emails.
It’s a pretty weak president who may have to please so many masters.
Though, there is a chance all the emails will be released before the election…
Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are arming up for a possible post-Election Day battle.
Clinton is assembling a voter protection program that has drawn thousands of lawyers agreeing to lend their time and expertise in battleground states, though the campaign isn’t saying exactly how many or where. It is readying election observers in Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Hampshire, Iowa, Nevada and Arizona to assess any concerns — including the potential for voter intimidation — and to verify normal procedures.
The Republican National Lawyers Association, which trains attorneys in battleground states and in local jurisdictions where races are expected to be close, aims to assemble 1,000 lawyers ready to monitor polls and possibly challenge election results across the country. Hedge fund manager Robert Mercer, one of Trump’s biggest backers, has sunk$500,000 into the group, its biggest donation in at least four presidential elections, Internal Revenue Service filings show.
“We are fighting for open, fair and honest elections,” the association’s executive director, Michael Thielen, said in an e-mail.
The state of Virginia has five million voters, but they printed six million ballots. Sites that needed an extra 700 ballots in 2012 (provisional ones) have been sent 84,000. Other sites are crazier:
“In 2012, Fairfax used 2,500 provisional ballots. In 2016, they received over 265,000. This is ridiculous.”
Still, a thousand illegal voters were registered to vote in Virginia in one sample of eight localities. Perhaps they’ll need the extra ballots?
Top 7 Charges Hillary Clinton Could Face While President, by John Hayward — Breitbart.
1. Perjury: Did she turn over ALL the work related emails on orders of a federal judge?
2. Obstruction of Justice: Did she destroy evidence?
3. Bribery: Among others, there is the donations from Clinton friends to the wife of the number 3 at the FBI…
4. Pay for Play: Selling favors from the US for donations to the Clinton Foundation.
5. Illegal Use of a Nonprofit Organization: The Clinton Foundation violates the laws for charitable organizations.
6. Racketeering: Former prosecutor Andrew McCarthy observed that Hillary Clinton’s abuse of the State Department looks an awful lot like a “racketeering enterprise”.
7. Fraud: Wall Street analyst Charles Ortel has been building a case that the “Clinton Charity Network,” as he calls the complete system of Clinton operations, has committed “charity fraud of epic proportions.” In part, he refers to discrepancies between donor accounts and the Clinton Foundation’s books.
h/t to David.
1. Obama lied: he knew about Hillary’s secret server and wrote to her using a pseudonym, cover-up happened (intent to destroy evidence)
2. Hillary Clinton dreams of completely “open trade and open borders”
3. Hillary Clinton took money from and supported nations that she KNEW funded ISIS and terrorists
4. Hillary has public positions on policy and her private ones
etc ad nauseum,
Who to vote for? One team hides everything…
They even hide how they are hiding things.
A video titled “The Dark Art of Political Intimidation” was posted last week by WSJ columnist Kimberly Strassel as a PragerU lecture. “Within several hours of PragerU posting the video,” said a WSJ editorial, YouTube placed it in ‘restricted mode,’ making it inaccessible to schools, libraries and young Americans whose parents have enabled YouTube technology filters.”
The stakes are do or die, especially for Clinton.
Thanks to Pat and other commenters for all the great links and discussion.
US Flag photo adapted from Wikimedia: Image Clément Bardot