How about some perspective on those alarming headlines:
Thanks to Steve Hunter illustrations
We are tying ourselves in knots over 150 year old records (or even less) when:
- These are just short Australian records, not long global ones. Even in the 1800′s Australia recorded heatwaves of 50+ degrees.
- The world was similarly warm 1,000 years ago, definitely warmer 7,000 years ago, and a lot warmer 120,000 years ago.
- The world has been warmer for most of the last 500 million years.
- Satellites are more reliable, have better coverage, and don’t have dubious inexplicable adjustments. They show it was not a record angry summer, nor the hottest year we’ve had.
- The warmest year antidotes
- Eight reasons the Australian heatwave is not “climate change”
- Australia – was hot and is hot. So what? This is not an unusual heatwave
Posts about Australian temperatures
Post Note: And of course, we spare a thought for those who have lost homes in the fires in the Blue Mountains. So far lives have been saved. We can only hope it stays that way.